On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
A non fiction book about writing. Not as grammar or style oriented as Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style (which I got for my birthday, BTW :) ), it talks about general stuff rather then details.
A couple of notes from it:
- about his life (how he got to the first published book, Carrie, who inspired him, about his not so easy life before becoming successful)
- about writing (he wrote short stories that sent them to various magazines during his high school and university period)
- about his accident (happened in the same period when he was writing this book)
- a second draft example (2nd draft = 1st draft - 10%)
- a list of good books to read (Bill Bryson’s A Walk in the Woods, one of my favorites is there too)
- a good writer must read a lot and write a lot
I recommend this book to anyone who’s interested in writing, as a career or hobby.